Monday, June 29, 2009

Small Talk

In spite of all our worrying regarding Linus's delayed speaking, Linus has continued to increase his vocabulary. He now has numerous words he uses with regularity from the toddler-staple "No" to the more complex "GoDuck" (tow truck). He's even getting a bit bossy in commanding "Momma, go!" which really means 'come with me'. When I question him, "Momma come?", he'll respond "Dum" with a serious furrowed brow.

He's even begun using phrases of two or three words. It's the use of the phrases that has motivated me to push for him to say, "I love you."

One morning as we lay in bed together, I'm busy snuggling my little bug and repeating 'I love you' in hopes of hearing it in return. That's when Linus surprises me by placing a hand on either side of my face, leaning in close, and very slowly saying, "Aye... uv... ME!"

I guess I don't have to worry about his self-esteem, now do I?

-----------------------------------------
Other Translations from the Toddler to English Dictionary

No-No --> More
Ssss --> Snack
Gee --> Egg
Gilk --> Milk
Goo --> Shoe
Bebe --> Baby (or maybe he's just learning French on the side)
Detee --> Spaghetti
Bame --> Game or more specifically Mommy's iPhone where the games are
DeeDod --> P-Bod which is a nickname for our cat Peabody



2 comments:

Convertible Girl said...

So sweet! My favorite was when Jack would walk over, lift up his arms to me and say, "Hold you?" Took him a long time to learn to say "me" instead -- but it was adorable.

Anonymous said...

How sweet. I knew a boy once who sang the Barney theme: You love me, You love me, You love me!
Yes, self-esteem intact:)