Thursday, January 08, 2009

Not Quite Oprah

Maybe my New Year's resolution should have been to read more books because if had, I would be succeeding. It does however fit with my resolution to take more time for me, since reading is definitely a relaxing escape. I am proud to say that I have already read 2 books, more than 1500 pages total.

The books I have read are not challenging reads, but they are enjoyable none the less. My first read of the year was Ken Follett's World Without End. This is one I have been meaning to get to since it was released but haven't previously made the time. Although there were moments when I was referring to it as "Book Without End" that was only due to the amount of time it was taking away from all the other things I needed to be doing- which isn't really a bad thing. I enjoy historical fiction and definitely enjoyed it. The other book that I finally succumbed to reading was Stephenie Meyer's Twilight. It was definitely a fast read, but an enjoyable one. I do understand why it is considered a "Young Adult/Teen" book as there was some fantastically fictional romance that only teens, in their unsullied innocence, could truly believe. It was a fun read though and I am looking forward to devouring the rest of the series.

Next up, a little bit of non-fiction. I have already checked out David Elkind's The Power of Play from the library. This book caught my attention at the local children's science museum and I am curious to learn what it has to say about the removal of play from today's children and the potential dire effects. You may recognize Elkind as the author of The Hurried Child. I have not read that one either but plan to if this one provides some valuable insight.

That's my reading list to date. What's on your shelf? Any books you would recommend? I will try most anything available at the public library except I won't be reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski since Green Girl is certainly not singing its praises.



5 comments:

Chimpsea said...

So glad you're reading Power of Play! I can't wait to read it. The Hurried Child is wonderful. Elkind is kinda sorda one of my favorite developmental psychologists. I still recommend Parenting, Inc. if you want more non-fiction. I also really liked Blink, The Tipping Point, and Outliers. Another favorite is The Culutre of Fear.

I can't wait for Summer so I can read what I want to read again! :)

carrhop said...

I'm a big reader myself and am always up for a good book to distract me away from laundry.

I'm reading Ken Follett's The Pillars of Earth--and I have to say, I think Edward Rutherford is a better read on the same topic. Rutherford has written Sarum, Russka, London and The Forest (sorry for the lack of underlining, but it's not available in the comment box ;o) ).

Sarum is also about the construction of a cathedral and the people who labor on it and it captured my attention a bit more--no offense, Mr. Follett...

Hope you're getting a hot cup of joe!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Another good review of Twilight!
I recommend the Guernsey Literary & potato Peel Pie Society. Fab. U. Lous.

messyfunmommylife said...

I just finished Eat Pray Love. def recommend it!

Anonymous said...

I loved the Follett books, need to check out the other author recomened.

Birth by Tina Cassidy - very interesting history of birth.

Also liked The 7 stages of Motherhood by Ann Pleshette Murphy.
I picked both up at the library.