Monday, September 22, 2008

Scheduling

Now that Linus is napping on a more consistent schedule, we are attempting to establish a more consistent schedule for the rest of our day as well.

For me, having a schedule has several benefits:

  1. It provides an outlet for my super compulsive need to plan. During my first weeks of teaching, I planned out the days in 5 minute increments. The only reason I stopped is that my principal (although thrilled with my preparation) knew I would surely self-destruct if I continued in this fashion.
  2. It motivates me to get out of the house. If a piece of paper tells me that today is the day to go to the park, I am 20 times more likely to do it. Strange, I know.
  3. In a weird paradoxical way, it encourages us to do new things. Instead of just playing toys in the living room day after day, having an "Art Activity" motivates me to figure out something new for us to do.
  4. It helps Linus take better (read: longer) naps if he's had some morning stimulation.
  5. It provides routine and structure for Linus. Children thrive on knowing what's happening next. Many behavior problems can be prevented simply by helping children know what to expect. Not to mention, it will reduce (though not eliminate) the number of times I will be asked, "Now what, Mommy?
  6. Last but not least, it will save me from at least a few hours of this...


Yes, that obnoxious hunk of noise and plastic was actually purchased by me at a recent consignment sale. Linus LOVES this thing. It combines two of his favorite things: buttons and cars.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the joy of noise.

Chimpsea said...

Happy birthday to you!

And scheduling is the best. Kids love it.