Thursday, January 06, 2011

Children's Activities for a Winter Day

Since I haven't really gotten into the whole scheduled blogging thing yet, I'm sorta lacking in a fun creative activity. However, I did come across this post on fun activities for a winter day that uses basics from around the house over at ohdeedoh, Apartment Therapy's sister site, with several ideas I plan to try out.

I'm definitely going to try the clothespin laundry activity, and the painter's tape activity would rock Linus's world. Plus, Linus is ALWAYS up for putting pennies in our bank. I just empty the bank into a bowl and let him put them back in. It's been so successful, I've had him do it with a friend. They practiced turn-taking and were occupied for at least 10 minutes.

Don't forget to read through the comments as many readers offer even more ideas like handing your kid a sponge and water and letting them "clean". I did this one summer day while scrubbing mildew off the house siding. Linus loved helping and I got the job done while he was occupied.



1 comment:

Amy said...

Today's preschooler activity when I needed a much needed break from the "whys" and whines: I had M arrange her letter magnets (the ubiquitous ones on fridges) alphabetically on the floor in the living room. That meant she had to make many trips back and forth between the kitchen and the living room (and all without asking Mommy for help) and that kept her occupied but active. After that task was finished, I had her sort the letters by their respective colors and we talked about which colors had the most and the least. We're big into sorting right now.