Friday, October 22, 2010

Big Girl Pants

I've recently discovered that I do indeed STILL have a big girl voice. Yes, this from the girl who authored many a petition in high school, regularly questioned educators' authority (yes and I still became a teacher), and demanded a new voter registration form on my 18th birthday because the administrative assistant went ahead and checked 'Republican' for me. Sometimes, I've even found there are times that I manage to dig up the courage to use my big girl voice (or actually write it).

Funny thing is, I don't tend to really get into it much here. I don't know if that's because this blog is more about my family than the world around us, or if it's just that I'm afraid of the backlash.

I'm thinking it's the latter. I mean, it takes me entire evenings and numerous edits before I actually hit publish on comments that involve my opinion. Yes, I have a big girl voice but lately I've taken it down to more of a whisper.

Maybe it's because my parents always encouraged me to "pick my battles". (Although I think they may have been referencing the crazy intense sibling rivalry between my older brother and me, but whatever the reason, the lesson stuck.)

I figured it might be time to remedy that just for a bit. You see, I've been opining over on Facebook and on friends' blogs and I thought I might share. I mean, it took me so long to overcome the fear of unfriending that I might as well get a blog post of my own out of it.

So here ya go.

This link will take you to my archives where I have copied a two comment "discussion" that I recently had with a Facebook friend regarding a candidate running for Congress in Virginia. You can read the article we're discussing here.

And, this link will take you over to my friend Andrea's blog where I'm hoping she won't hate me for disagreeing about the whole Juan William's story.

There you have it. I'm not yet Rachel Maddow, but I put on my big girl pants today.

(Feel free to disagree but remember to keep it respectful.)



Plus, for those of you not interested in my opinionated ramblings, here's a little something for y'all too. It's cuteness overload.



9 comments:

Andrea said...

OMG dot org. That is the BEST video ever. And I LOVE the costume!

Convertible Girl said...

Okay, BEST Abby Cadabby hair ever.

And yea for your big girl pants -- let loose, my friend!

nikki said...

Okay, that video made me smile. A lot.

My Abby wants to be Abby Cadabby for Halloween!

Jana Banana said...

I love your post. I admire your courage! I often suffer from "Good Girl" syndrome and am more worried about who I will offend rather than speaking my mind. So frustrating. Keep doing what you're doing! Thanks for sharing!

Chimpsea said...

DOT ORG!

That was the biggest laugh I've had all day.

And I love your post. I was THIS close to posting a big scary super opinionated bit last night but I chickened out. Maybe I'll find some big girl pants and do it. It's all kinds of spicy.

You know I love Ms. Ball and hope she wins. And I'm also with you on Juan - because I remembered you telling me about that other story during the '08 election! And I'm all for discussing racism and all the other isms but the place and time he decided to mention his thoughts was not appropriate. There ya go.

Heidi said...

Dying laughing! Dot Org is priceless. Just priceless!

Miss you guys.

Mom said...

Dad & I watched the video over and over again..... dot org is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

That's my grandson (raised in a super tech environment) what else do you need to say? Loved it. Meemaw

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you still wear big girl pants--I read your linked stuff and it made me SMILE!