Thursday, June 10, 2010

Preschool Dinosaur Activities

Here's how to over-prepare for a 1 on 2 toddler trade day:

Step 1- Settle on a theme or topic.

Step 2- Gather literature.


Step 3- Brainstorm ideas and write a lesson plan.



Step 4- Gather materials.



Step 5- Go!






For the curious, the lesson plan is as follows:


9-9:15 Read book: A Dinosaur Called Tiny by Alan Durant and Jo Simpson

9:15-9:35 D is for dinosaur

  • Have kids dip toy dinosaur's feet into paint and "walk" out letter D shape. "Start at the top and stomp straight down. Now a big jump back up and stomp all the way around."


9:35-9:50 Read book: The Super Hungry Dinosaur by Martin Waddell

9:50-10:00 Potty Break

10:00-10:15 Song:

I'm a Mean Old Dinosaur
  (Tune:  I'm a little Tea Pot)

  I'm a mean old Dinosaur
   (Make a mean face, the kids make the cutest mean faces)
  Big and Tall
   (Gesture hands big and tall )
Here is my tail, here is my claw.
   (Gesture hands behind your back for tail and make claw hands)
  When I get all hungry
   (rub your tummy)
  I just growl
  (have the kids exaggerate the grrroooowwwlll)
Look out kids I'm on the prowl.
  (Here I tickle each one of the tummy and they all giggle)

[Source for song lyrics here.]

10:15-10:30 Dinosaur Dig

  • Search for dino sorters in the bean box.
  • Discuss new word: paleontologist.
  • Sort by color.
  • Sort by type.


10:30-10:45 Read book: What Happened to Patrick's Dinosaurs? by Carrol Carrick

10:45-11:10 Dinosaur Bones

  • Glue noodles onto dinosaur silouette to create "skeleton".


11:10-11:25 Read book: Buying, Training, & Caring for Your Dinosaur by Laura Joy Rennert

11:25-11:50 Dinosaur Stamping Scene (We used these stamps I found on sale.)

11:50-12:20 Lunch


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, Abby, you amaze me! Your real calling is a teacher and Linus is so lucky to have you as a mom. He is learning so much. Terry B.

Anonymous said...

Linus is a lucky kid to have you as a mom He's going to be a super-smart cookie.

corrie said...

Whew! How long does it usually take you to do your planning and set-up, Abby? I love your ideas, but would have a hard time finding time to implement them. But I'd like to enroll Lily in your pre-preschool...if only we were closer!