Monday, August 03, 2009

Grr...

On this blog, the majority of what I write are the mundane life experiences of a stay-at-home mom. Please be aware that this is only a portion of my person that I share publicly. Because I choose to write about diapers, dinner plans, and yummy things I have baked does not mean that I have no brain.

I think that the most infuriating part of having chosen to be a stay-at-home mom is that it brought along it's own stereotype. Please do not force me into a cookie cutter image. I have a college degree, an interest in current affairs, and, most shocking, a brain. I have had a professional career and will likely have it again. I am capable of so much more than grocery lists, playdates, and mopping although I do those too.

I refuse to go into the challenges that being a mom brings because I'd be preaching to the choir for most and not really heard by the others. Although, I don't think the job I do is something that my husband is incapable of doing, I don't think it is valueless either. Thing is, like many married couples, he brought home the bigger paycheck therefore he had to be the one to continue to support us financially.

Maybe soon, I will go into more detail about my choice to be a stay-at-home mom, but for now suffice it to say that it has not in the least changed my feminist ways.

------------------------------------------------

Want to know what got me going on this little rant? Check out Mom-101's latest post regarding how male marketers view moms.



3 comments:

Mom101 said...

Rock on, sister! Fist in the air! Whoo!

(meanwhile, wow - I'm impressed with your pedigree. I don't feel smart enough to have you reading me.)

Amy said...

I love it when I actually laugh out loud when reading a posting. Awesome job! As a former teacher and SAHM, I definitely can relate to your feelings.

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Motherhood is a preexisting condition. I don't see people lumping cancer survivors the same way. It IS insulting. Amen, sistah!