Friday, July 10, 2009

Letter of Apology

Dear "That" Mom,

I owe you an apology. Although we've never even met, I have judged you. In those days before I too found myself chasing a squealing toddler through the fabric store, leaving clothes yanked from hangers in my wake down the aisles of TJMaxx, or practically begging a two year old to give mommy "just one more minute" in the dressing room, I judged you.

I distinctly remember standing in the Ann Taylor Loft dressing room next door to you hearing your toddler whine, "P-ease Mommy, go," and thinking to myself that your child SHOULD be home in bed, he's obviously due for a nap. I remember hearing you pleading, "Just one more second honey, Mommy just needs to find a pair of pants," and thinking "Sure, you said that 5 minutes ago. You haven't followed through at all."

I judged you. You, a mom, who was probably in desperate need of a break. A woman who probably didn't even want to be at Loft. I judged you. Sadly, I can do no more than apologize for my unfair treatment. Though you couldn't see me, I should never have rolled my eyes, sighed, or otherwise displayed any emotion aside from empathy. You needed a break, and I refused to give you one.

Please accept my sincere apologies knowing that my day has come, and now I COMPLETELY understand. Forgive me.

Sincerely,
Abby
(mother to Linus, terror of Target)



6 comments:

mamadearest said...

Brilliant.

Jo from Dixie said...

Isn't it ironic that we never think we'll be "that mom", and sadly enough, it comes back to bite us. I've been there more times than I can count and just don't care what others think anymore. I'm a mom and that's the way it is.

Convertible Girl said...

Karma's a bitch -- goodness knows I've been there on both sides of that story. At least now when you get that look from someone, you can console yourself with the knowledge that one day she'll realize she's "that mom" too.

Miche said...

Hahaha, that was so cute! I think we have all been there, and now realize...:)

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. I've fallen from that mighty perch of childless self-righteousness myself a time or two--or thousand.

julie said...

We've all been there, right? I heard someone once say, "If you've stood in judgment of how others raise their children, it's time for you to have your own." I truly believe my daughter (second child) is my comeuppance for every time I've even thought of judging another mom.

I'm in the middle of Ayelet Waldman's Bad Mother. I highly recommend it.