Thursday, November 13, 2008

Snow?


Did you know that North Carolina is magical? That's right, only in NC can you get snow ABOVE freezing. How much snow? Well, according to Weather.com, enough to practice snowboarding.

Of course, being a white Christmas dreamer, I can only hope this magic is real.

------------------------------------------------

In other news, I found a recipe for making "cookie" ornaments that are completely non-toxic. I'm pondering using these on my tree. I wonder if they'll be more or less tempting to Linus than regular ornaments.

Reusable "Cookie" Ornaments

1 cup salt
2 cups flour
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Spices or powdered pigments can be added to color the dough

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add water and oil and stir until blended. Knead with your hands to make a smooth texture. Roll dough out on a cutting board to desired thickness (thick enough so they won't break easily) and cut with cookie cutters or a knife. Use a straw to make a hole at the top for threading a ribbon. Bake at 250 degrees until hard (1-2 hours).

When cookies are cool, decorate with water-based paints. Put a ribbon through the hole, and hang on the tree.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We made ornaments like this back when I was a wee urchin. They have a fairly long shelf life -- I think the last one finally broke/disintegrated this past Christmas.

Madeline said...

Snow, already? Lucky you. We only get snow every few years here.

Andrea said...

We got a dump of snow here already...but that's to be expected in Canada! :) And I made some "cookie' ornaments with my son this week...it's a real fun craft!

Susie said...

I remember doing these as a kid - my mom would make a huge batch, we would shape them and then paint them when they cooled.