Monday, September 29, 2008

Rally, Rally, Rally

On Saturday morning, I joined thousands of other North Carolinians in witnessing a piece of history. I had to stand in a line at least 10 city blocks long in a steady drizzle without an umbrella. While standing in this line that moved a distance of one block during the first hour, I had to entertain, rock to sleep, feed, and change the cloth diaper of a 15 month old. All this had to be done without the convenience of a diaper bag, a changing table, a nearby trashcan, or even a 2 foot by 2 foot span of space. It also had to happen through the shouting of street vendors, the grumbles of fellow citizens, and even the pounding of drums. To say it was a challenge would be an understatement. This was extreme parenting.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit put out. I was battling a cold, a weak bladder made worse by a Venti Starbucks, and my own general dislike of public events. There were many times where my will was weak and the comfort of my home beckoned, but I persevered knowing that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. This was history and this was absolutely worth it.

As the speeches began, all the challenges of the wait melted away. I was listening to one of the greatest orators of our time. I was surrounded by a diverse group of people, African-American college students, a bilingual family of four, a group of septuagenarian women, and a priest among them. Yet we were all there for one common cause. We were all there with one common belief…



Yes we can!

Crossposted at Triangle Mamas. Please send me some comment love (or hate) thatta way.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! And I give you props for engaging your son so early!