Monday, December 01, 2008

Leave No Orange Peel Behind

One of our favorite treats this time of year are clementines or 'Cuties' as Sunkist calls them. They are easy to peel, have few to no seeds, and taste delicious.

This year, we let Linus in on this little treat slicing each wedge into bite-sized nibbles. I think he likes them even more than we do. This could have to do with the amount of citrus I ate during my first trimester. It was the only thing that staved of my nausea.

With all the penny pinching our current economic crisis has encouraged, I have found yet another reason to love clementines. They make super cheap potpourri. No need to purchase expensive candles. Just throw the clementine peels in a pot, add water, a few spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc.), and simmer on the stove.

Your house will soon be filled with a warm, wintery scent in only a few minutes. Just be sure to keep an eye on it and add water as needed or you'll end up with a crusty, burned on mess in the bottom of your pan.

Try it and I'll bet you'll significantly cut back on your Bath & Bodyworks purchases this year.



3 comments:

Chimpsea said...

Good idea! Did you put spices in yours? I will have to try this for sure.

Anonymous said...

I adore the clementines--my boys eat them like candy. Thanks for the idea of how else to use them:)

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

We have Cuties!! I am so doing this today!

Steph