Sunday, March 23, 2008

You are a beautiful and unique snowflake. Just like everyone else.

Parents compete on two different fronts, the exceptionalness of their children, or their plight as parents. If they can't get your awe and wonder, they'll settle for your pity.

I've been asked leading questions about my son, usually expecting the follow-up to be some comparison, proving him inferior. Which happens. Sometimes, though, after answering, I can feel the gears shift in the conversation, and I'll get the story of a midnight screamfest or scatological disaster instead.

Of course, I do the exact same thing - I'm positioning for my Most Precocious Child and Most Martyred Parent awards. Those are difficult fields to excel in, though. I'm working on long division with Linus this week, and I'm planning on embellishing my tales of woe the next time I talk with the grandparents.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yeah? madeline is learning taxidermy. we can't wait any longer to get her on a career path. : )

bonus points to you, sir, for using scatological in a sentence.

Chimpsea said...

Eeeeew scatological...

Anonymous said...

maybe this helps you understand your own mom and dad a little better? Terry B.