Thursday, March 06, 2008

I Speak for the Trees

The destruction of trees in Durham must stop. Although I have witnessed the butchering of neighborhood trees into "goal post" trees, I never took more action than to mutter a few words of anger. I even reassured myself with the false knowledge that when the leaves came out, it wouldn't be as noticeable.

I guess my apathy had most to do with not knowing the other trees as well as I know the ones on my block. I couldn't clearly recall exactly how much infringement on the power lines those tree had. I just let myself believe that there was no other choice besides these drastic measures.

However, yesterday the crews began their assault on my block. There is a tree across the street from my house that at most was brushing the lines with just the tips of a few branches. When I saw the crews begin their work, I assumed they would do a light pruning. From what I knew of the tree's power line infringement, it could have been solved with a pair of kitchen shears. I went about my day and didn't glance out the window for some time. Imagine my surprise then when I stepped out the front door to be faced with this.


The tree is no longer a tree. It is instead a lopsided shrub. Whether this tree will even be able to survive this massacre is yet to be determined. As I began to survey the damage closer, a wave of outrage overcame me. Random thoughts ran through my head.
-Durham: City of Tree Stumps
-Now if there is an ice storm, the tree won't lean slightly on the powerlines, it will fall on the neighbors' house.
-Boys with power tools = complete annihilation

Adrian tried to calm me by going over the lack of options and forcefeeding me the corporate lines. I did begin to calm until a new thought occurred: The power companies claim that this must be done to prevent power outages. But I, as a native Kansas girl (the state without trees), know that power outages occur regardless of trees. Without the trees, you get wind gusts that blow the lines down or any other number of scenarios. My relatives in Kansas can attest to this as they just went through a powerless week this past January.

So I ask what can be done? Where can I voice my anger and be heard? Has anyone attempted to fight a similar fight?

I need to know because I can no longer sit passively back and watch the destruction of the trees that make Durham beautiful.



1 comment:

Chimpsea said...

That's awful! I hope you can find a way to let your voice be heard. Save some trees for us! :)